Cat Health | Funny Cat | Cat Food | My Baby Cat | Cat Products | Baby's Cat Tales | Big Cats | Cat Care | Cats and Dogs | Dog Care

Thursday, October 29, 2009

How can I clean cat urine out of a memory foam mattress? Tips & Products


My cat just peed on my memory foam mattress. I can wash the comforter but I cant put the memory foam in the washer.
What do I do? I think it’s gone through the foam. It was over 300 dollars for the mattress so I cant just throw it away.
What do I do to clean it and remove the odor?

One of the most effective formulas I´ve found for removing ANY odor was from Popular Science Magazine.
Mix 1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, with 1/4 cup of Baking Soda, and one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap. Saturate the affected area, rinse thoroughly with clean water, and the smell is gone. This is non-toxic and safe for your animals and children, and those with allergies. This is especially helpful for removing skunk odor from your outdoor animals.

As always, test a small portion of fabric for color fastness, before treating a large area.
There are many home remedies for treating pet stains and odors, and let me stress that most of them are not too bad as far as removing odors for humans´ noses.

Vinegar, amonia, baking soda, laundry detergents, lemon juice, fabric softeners, and commercial strength pet stain removers are all great for removing the odors that humans can smell.
HOWEVER; you will need more to remove the odor for your cat´s nose. An enzymatic cleaner is the best answer, but it is slow and may take more than one application. (Nature´s Miracle is one of them.)

The Hydrogen Peroxide/Baking Soda combo is fast, but can alter the colors of some fabrics.
In the end, you must decide which application is best for your situation.

To remove the smell of urine from just about anything, first clean it with some sort of soap or kitchen cleaner. Then clean it with lemon juice. If you dont like the smell of lemon juice follow it up with a little bit of vanilla extract.

9 Responses to “How can I clean cat pee out of a memory foam mattress?”

  1. Margaret v Says:
    When my cat did this all I did was run water thought the wet spot and let it dry . Then I spray it with something that will get rid of any order remaining.

  2. r8drzz Says:
    Go to the pet store and purchase "Natures Miracle" It comes in a red and white bottle. When you apply it, put it on heavy! Cat urine is extremely concentrated (desert animals you know they don’t drink much water) and needs to be flushed out. The Natures Miracle has enzymes in it that dissolve the urine compounds that cause the odor.

  3. DIY_Diva Says:
    Wow. Ok, well the only way to really get cat pee out is to use Urine Off or Natures Miracle.

  4. Royael Says:
    Wow! Normally I would say through it out, but $300. is a lot of money for memory foam.
    Maybe you can clean it with Fresh scented Clorox Bleach, and then let it air out for a couple of days.
    You will need something strong to get that stuff out.
    Also, get the cat fixed (spayed or neutered) so it won’t do that anymore.
    If the cat is not trained to use the litter box, keep him outside in your yard.
    If you can’t keep the cat outside, find someone with a farm to adopt the cat.
    You can’t keep a cat indoors if it refuses to use the litter box. Yuk!

  5. sue t Says:
    contact a local vet and see what they recommend. Most vets will sell cleaning agents. Supermarkets and stores often have weaker versions.

  6. izo Says:
    Oh HELLO… my cat (male) done exactly the same thing to me .. my brand new king size memory foam mattress …(£500!!!!) he peed on it not once, but a zillion times and he done a number 2 on it…. I was not a happy bunny… each and everytime he saw a chance to get it (including one time, i was lying in my bed, and i thought nah he wouldn’t dare in front of me …. !!!!) I have no idea what he had against it, but hey… I have yukky stains both sides of my mattress now!!! but the smell? i soaked it with a water/bleach/white vinegar solution… SOAKED it … (mild solution) and I done it about 3/4 times per piddle!!!! …it doesn’t smell, but it looks bloody awful, if you have any tips on the actual stains i will be grateful … ;-) good luck!!! xxx

  7. Sydney Bristow's Other Alias Says:
    Nature’s Miracle is by far one of the best products I’ve used to get the smell and stain of cat urine out of stuff. They even make a cat specific formula. If you go to your local pet store, or a Petco or Petsmart, they’ll have it in the cat section, most likely near where the litter is kept.

    I work in a pet store and I have two cats that use the area behind my tv as a litter box when they feel like it…
  8. canikeepthisname4ever Says:
    One of the most effective formulas I´ve found for removing ANY odor was from Popular Science Magazine.
    Mix 1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide, with 1/4 cup of Baking Soda, and one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap. Saturate the affected area, rinse thoroughly with clean water, and the smell is gone. This is non-toxic and safe for your animals and children, and those with allergies. This is especially helpful for removing skunk odor from your outdoor animals.
    As always, test a small portion of fabric for color fastness, before treating a large area.
    There are many home remedies for treating pet stains and odors, and let me stress that most of them are not too bad as far as removing odors for humans´ noses.
    Vinegar, amonia, baking soda, laundry detergents, lemon juice, fabric softeners, and commercial strength pet stain removers are all great for removing the odors that humans can smell.
    HOWEVER; you will need more to remove the odor for your cat´s nose. An enzymatic cleaner is the best answer, but it is slow and may take more than one application. (Nature´s Miracle is one of them.)
    The Hydrogen Peroxide/Baking Soda combo is fast, but can alter the colors of some fabrics.
    In the end, you must decide which application is best for your situation.
    To remove the smell of urine from just about anything, first clean it with some sort of soap or kitchen cleaner. Then clean it with lemon juice. If you dont like the smell of lemon juice follow it up with a little bit of vanilla extract.

  9. PaulMor909 Says:
    Nature’s Miracle or Simple Solution is good, but you have to get it all the way down where the urine has soaked into. With foam, I would think it would be difficult (and not damage the mattress). But you can certaintly try and see how it dries? But it has to soak all the way through (just like the urine did).

No comments:

Post a Comment